- Most Unexpected Thing: Emma Lowry
- Best Pumpkin: Ben Slattery
- Best Pumpkin: Samuel Darer
Thing Jam? What’s That?
tl;dr: A fun event where you make things!
It can be anything! Art, vfx, game, mod, audio – go nuts, or just polish up an old project and show it off to the community!
The theme for the jam is optional: Pumpkin
This is just to help inspire ideas if you want to start from scratch, if youve already got something in mind, no need to integrate pumpkins (unless you want to 🎃)
IGDA Exec will be picking a few prize winners for fun. The categories are:
– Best pumpkin
Best meme Best pumpkin, because you can’t have too much pumpkin
– Most unexpected thing
Take that as you will – winners will be announced sometime after 6PM on Tuesday October 20th.
(Submissions are Open through 10/21/2020, but only submissions posted by the end of day on 10/20 will be considered for prizes)
- Visit https://igda.wpi.edu/register/ and fill out the form to register an account (or click sign in if you’ve already made one)
- You should be redirected to the dashboard (if not, you can find it at https://igda.wpi.edu/wp-admin)
- Click the “Posts” tab on the left sidebar and select “Add New”
- Title your post:
<Project Name> – <Your name> – Thing Jam 2020
- On the right sidebar, click the Document tab and scroll down to the Categories section — select the “2020 Thing Jam” category under Projects
(we also recommend setting a “featured image” but this is optional)
- You can add text/image/video content to present your project however you’d like – if you have any questions feel free to ping an exec on Discord!
- Title your post:
- When you’re ready, click the Submit/Publish button at the top right of the screen!
If you have other files (a game/large video etc) that can not be uploaded directly to the site, you can drop them in the Google Drive folder here:
And include a link to your files in your post
But what if…?
- You don’t need any prior experience! Game jams are a great place to learn something new
- You don’t need to make a video game! You can make a board game, art piece, or some other form of media
- If you have a project you want to work on during the jam that’s cool too! It’s a good chance to chill and crank out a project with friends
- You don’t have to have something completed at the end! Sometimes scope, homework, or life gets in the way of finishing a project. If you feel comfortable doing so, feel free to showcase whatever you’ve got or share what you learned!
I wanna do one of these!
Make sure you’ve joined our Discord for meeting/event reminders: https://igda.wpi.edu/discord
(If you are remote and can’t access discord in your home country, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you out!)
IGDA WPI is a safe, inclusive, and overall chill space. We only have 3 rules:
- Don’t be a dick
- No alcohol/drugs/sexual content in any games
- Don’t give unsolicited advice – some people are uncomfortable having their works in progress critiqued. Wait until they’re ready for feedback!
- As a general rule of thumb, just be respectful and kind to others
- If someone tells you you’re being a dick, stop
- If you’re unsure whether or not you’re being a dick, ask an exec